Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I want to declare...

...a new major.
That's right, SMU, I want to declare a new major: Swimming. Here is why:
a) Comparing hours, I spend more hours at the pool than in a classroom everyday. The team has practice for 2 hours in the morning, then I have 2 or 3 classes, and then 2 more hours at the pool (although it sometimes extends). This semester I'm taking 16 hours of classes, and swimming? I don't even want to count the endless hours working out. It's definitely more than that.
b) When it is time to write resumes, I think student-athletes are at a disadvantage. We barely have spare time to do "extracurricular activities," so we have less "resume fillers." I have to speak for myself (but I know my teammates feel the same way...): I wake up (5:20 am!!), go to practice, go to class, eat lunch, go to practice, go to the weightroom/gym, have dinner, do some homework...and then? Go home and sleep...no club meetings please!
I know declaring a Swimming major sounds silly, but think about it. The sum of the hours we practice is obviously more than the hours required to graduate with a BBA or a BA. Being an athlete is not an excuse to not being involved with the university, but there's a level of involvement that cannot be reached. I just hope that employers, whenever they see my not-super-filled resume, understand that academics and sports were the main focus of my college experience.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one a lot... you're so right though, never thought of it like that :)

    ReplyDelete