Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Do...Not...Be...Afraid

Today, as I was walking to class and thinking I had no idea what to write my blog about, I suddenly had to stop because I saw a threatening creature. A squirrel, who was obstructing my path. I have to say I'm usually not scared of squirrels, but this one scared me for a moment. I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking, I guess he (or she?) didn't either, so the encounter was a surprise to both of us. When I was passing by, the squirrel just stopped in a position of "attack," which really made me think I would be attacked by a tiny animal.This episode just lasted for, about 2 seconds? Maybe even less, but when I kept walking to class, I knew I had to write about it on my blog.

This event made me have a flashback to my childhood. I have to admit I get scared very easily, so my parents would always tell me, "Don't be afraid of insects/animals, who is bigger? They should be afraid of you, not you of them." Well, let me tell you that this quote, although it has offered some peace of mind and temporary relief, it hasn't made the terror go away. For example, whenever I see a cockroach I can't avoid running away. They repulse me. I can't stand wasps. I hate rats (yes, I lived in Mexico...in the countryside...and there were a lot of them just wandering around). I'm sorry I'm being so negative, but I can't help it. Why do they have to exist?

As I kept walking to my class, I reminded myself that I was the human being. The person that was bigger than the squirrel (or any other animal/insect that could cross my way this afternoon). I kept telling myself that I had to be strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment