Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Is this a joke?

I thought we had passed the era of negatively stereotyping minorities, but after watching this ad, we're apparently not. I can't believe this ad was approved when it has "CONTROVERSIAL" written all over it! I actually have 2 different opinions regarding this ad, which depend on which "shoes" I step into. I will explain them.

[As an advertising student]
Referring to what I said on a previous post about being responsible, this is the type of ad that makes the whole industry of advertising look bad; our image gets trashed by just a tiny ad. Thanks BK. I'm not against stereotypes, but why do some advertisers still use them in a negative way? Think about this: if you were Mexican, wouldn't you feel insulted? The whole race is being represented as a little "lucha libre" wrestler.

[As a native Mexican]
I don't want to say that this ad is appropriate, but I do have to admit that it is pretty funny. I guess that being Mexican allows me to laugh about the stereotype, which, although it is exaggerated, is somewhat true. What also made me laugh was the immediate connection I made with Nacho Libre (Gotta love Jack Black in that movie).

In general, I feel bad for the advertising industry that has to take the blame for this company's bad decision. Hopefully ads like this will disappear in the future, but nothing is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment