Sunday, April 12, 2009

Trapped between two worlds

Today I needed to write a letter to a potential summer employer...in Spanish. I thought this would obviously be easy; Spanish is my first language and I lived in Mexico. But I was wrong.

This task was much harder than I what I thought it would be. I can't believe I lost some "knowledge" of how to write appropriately in my language! Even though I speak in Spanish every day, I'm afraid I have lost my formal writing practice. Bummer. On the other hand, I can write well in English but when I speak it, I have an accent that reveals my foreign identity.

My residence status is another problem. I've been looking for information regarding a teaching program in France, where I could apply to assist English or Spanish teachers after graduation. I can't apply for the English position because I'm not a US citizen, and I can't apply for the Spanish position because I don't live in Mexico anymore. I'm not happy.

I'm now stuck between two worlds. Hannah Montana would say "I've got the best of both worlds" but...not in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment