Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hey kids, this is advertising

Saturday night I was watching the Nickelodeon KCA (Kids Choice Awards) with the two girls I was babysitting (Virginia & her friend). In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it is an event where awards are presented according to children's votes. It's a very big event for kids...I mean, the Jonas Brothers were there! giving a concert!

Anyways, all the commercials shown during breaks were for kids. Usually when I watch TV with this girl, commercial breaks are the moments when we are allowed to talk. So, when Virginia and her friend didn't have anything to say to me during the first break, I knew something different was happening. They were watching a "cool" ad.

Let me tell you that it was the most ridiculous commercial. It was a Burger King ad promoting its "new choices" and to my surprise, Virginia and her friend loved it! They both told me, of course after the ad had finished, that it was a really good ad. So then the conversation started and we talked about Burger King.

Ad agency that made this ad: Congratulations, you were successful (at least with these two girls).

What I want to say with this story is that making ads for children is not as easy at it seems. People say, "oh, you want children to buy stuff...that's easy because they want anything and everything." But no, it's not that easy. You really must understand how these children think and what they want. Plus, think about all the guidelines you must follow in order to avoid trouble.

I was trying to look up the BK ad on youtube, and instead I found these images on the Club BK webpage (http://www.clubbk.com/ - a site designed especially for kids):

This is what I was talking about. The advertisers focused on campaigns for children don't have an easy job. It may be a lot of fun, but it requires hard work. I want to acknowledge the hard work behind good ads for children. I don't know how the BK team came up with this one, but it surely was successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment