Sunday, March 1, 2009

To all spring breakers,

As Spring Break is getting close, I wanted to talk about the alert issued by the US State Department regarding Mexico. Their portrayal of the country as a dangerous one led many universities to discourage their students from traveling to Mexico. If you hadn't heard, this just happened a few days ago.

As a Mexican citizen, I can't lie to you. Mexico has been having internal problems, therefore, becoming more dangerous as time passes. But it's nothing new. If you have visited this country in recent years, I'm sure it won't be any different than before. The beautiful beaches will be there, just like the fun hasn't disappeared.

This alert disappointed me because it talks bad about my country. How would you feel if this alert was against the US, or your country? I would be disappointed, too, if it was about the US.

I know many students didn't change their break plans. The alert was issued too late. So, I want to offer (or reinstate) some advice to those traveling to a foreign country.

1. First of all, since you don't know who to trust, don't trust anyone. This doesn't sound nice, but it's better not to trust strangers than to later suffer the consequences.

2. When you go out, especially at night, be aware of your surroundings. Don't go to sketchy places.

3. I know going to Mexico is about having fun, but try to be reasonable. Trust your instincts. Make good decisions.

Maybe all these tips are not new to you, but I just wanted to remind you of them. Keep them in mind and be safe. Remember that a trip to Mexico can be a good experience...or a bad one.

No comments:

Post a Comment