Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Never-Ending Sales

Yesterday was Presidents Day. And guess what? Macy's was having another sale.

I don't know why but it seems that Macy's never stops advertising its sales, on TV at least. This sounds irrational: if you are a store and you are having a big sale, then you should advertise it because more people will be aware of it and will shop at your store. But Macy's is getting annoying.

Before living in the U.S, I would travel here with my family mainly because of one thing: shopping. Clothes, specially, are much cheaper than in Mexico (my home country) and you are cooler if you wear foreign clothes. Anyways, when I came to live here I got really excited when I saw a Macy's ad for a "Back-to-School" clearance day...I had to take advantage of this exclusive offer or I wouldn't find a good sale until December! I was wrong.

After 3 and a half years of living in this country, I know that Macy's has every (or almost every) weekend an "exclusive" sale. Whether the excuse is Columbus Day, Black Friday, or their One Day Sales, they can't seem to let go of the idea that they are offering the customers great opportunities to save money. Why not advertise that they have "new" low prices instead of tricking us to think that they are having super sales? Their "25% Off" seems to be there every time I go to the store.

I really like Macy's. They have good stuff. But I think they need a better selling strategy, specially now in these bad economic times. Macy's, I know you can do better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment