Sunday, February 22, 2009

"My real life doesn't need any extra drama"

When I saw this commercial at the movie theater a couple of years ago, it became one of my favorites. I think Kate Winslet is a great actress and she has done some really good movies.

This ad is an example of vertical intertextuality: when you see it, you must connect it with "cultural texts" of a different genre. In this case, in order to understand its meaning, you have to relate what you see in the ad with movies that Kate Winslet has done. It's an automatic connection.

Although I have only seen 2 of the movies that are depicted in the commercial, I now know that she talks about Heavenly Creatures, Sense and Sensibility, Titanic, Iris, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Finding Neverland. The images and her actions give us clues about these movies. For example, we hear the sound of a boat, which means "Titanic," and she plays with Peter Pan's hat and Captain Hook's hook, which stand for "Finding Neverland."

I think American Express did a good job with this ad. I suppose women were the target audience, and by showing it at the theaters, it was more possible that they would know her movies and, therefore, the meaning behind the ad.


No comments:

Post a Comment