Monday, October 12, 2009

Interpublic

McCann Erickson
"Lessons" for Master Card by McCann San Francisco:

I have always loved the MasterCard "priceless" ads because they make you appreciate everyday things in life. Like this one, it makes you appreciate the people that are taking steps to save the planet. It also gives you a lesson of how you should be taking care of the Earth.
Although I always enjoy watching one of these ads, I think the campaign is getting old. It has been around for a long time. The ads are different every time, but the concept is always the same. McCann should come up with another great idea for MasterCard as a substitute to those priceless ads.
Maybe they haven't done this yet because they have big shoes to fill in.

The Martin Agency
For Hanes:

This ad is so funny! And it's true too.
Haven't you ever experienced those uncomfortable moments? Be honest. I'm sure everyone has.
Like the 180 and the Dieste ad, this one is giving little truths that everyone has experienced. This way the public can better identify with the problem and see that the product (the Hanes underwear) could be a good solution to it.
I liked the idea of hiring the actress Sarah Chalke, from Scrubs, because she's really funny. And it makes the fans of the show want to watch this ad.

TM Advertising
For American Airlines by TM, Dallas:
I don't get the point of this ad. Are they trying to insult Harvard? Well, not insult, but make a point that it isn't the great school that everyone thinks it is?
Or are they trying to send the message that those that fly AA are Harvard alumni that need to learn a non-textbook lesson?
When I found this ad, I saw that it was a Silver Winner at the 2007 London International Awards. Which makes be think that I don't really get the message.

DraftFCB
Anti Drunk Driving Campaign for Drive Alive South Africa by Draftfcb Johannesburg:
This is a cool idea. But I don't see how it could be an effective one.
I think it has too many words for a person to read while he/she is driving.
Isn't the whole point of preventing drunk driving to make streets safer? Then, why would you want to distract the sober & drunk drivers by giving them lines to read in the middle of the road?

Lowe
"ElectroCity" for Genesis Energy:
I like this idea. Making a game available online to teach kids about energy and the environment. The webpage says it was designed for kids 7 to 9 years old. And there is even a section for teachers, where they can find lecture notes that relate to the concepts taught in the game and precise instructions of how to use the game for class.
This is a great example of social responsibility. Lowe is trying to educate the future leaders of our world by introducing them to our current problems since an early age. Good job!

Carmichael Lynch
For Subaru:

I like the storyline. It's something that would happen to me. But I don't see how it is an effective ad. And this isn't just a problem I have with this particular ad; I have it with all car ads.
The way this spot was created reminds me of the Arnold VW ads. They don't advertise the qualities of the car and they aren't trying to make a comedy, they just provide a nice story we can imagine ourselves in.

Hill Holliday
"Responsibility" for Liberty Mutual by Hill Holliday Boston:

I love this campaign. Do you ever wonder if this happens in real life?
I do and watching this ad makes me want to go do a social experiment.
I don't think I'll ever find out if people are good like the ad shows. But, in the meantime, help someone. It might turn into a chain of good deeds.

Deutsch
IKEA guerrilla marketing by Deutsch NY:
This is one of those images you get in emails. Those showing "cool" advertising.
And I think that's the most effective point this campaign will achieve.
How do you think people reacted when seeing a bright green sofa instead of the bench that is always there? I think they got confused, thought that it was cool, and then never found out what had happened that day at the bus stop. By looking at the image above, I don't even see the IKEA logo!

Mullen
For the New England Aquarium by Mullen, Boston:
Very nice image. I want to think it's a photograph, not a digital creation.
When you are flipping through a magazine, it's one of those images that appear in the middle of it and make you stop and look. That is probably why they also used the bright green.
It doesn't make me want to go to the aquarium, but the cool turtle certainly puts it in the back of my mind.

Campbell Mithun
"Make Today Famous" for Famous Footwear by Campbell Mithun, Minneapolis:

I can define this ad with the word: cute. It's not the best, but it is pretty.
I have to say that this spot reminds me of a Payless Shoes commercial, which is not good for Famous Footwear. Probably just by the way they shoot their shoes. Which brings me to a conclusion: agencies working for shoe companies need to come up with more creative ideas. ASAP.

TAG SF
Viva Pinata "Genie" by TAG, San Francisco:
I hate this commercial! I absolutely do.
The worst thing is that I saw it many times on tv. It's so stupid. But I guess I'm not the target audience...
It seems to imitate TBWA\Chiat\Day's technique. TAG gives the piƱata a voice and TBWA gives a bunny a voice (remember the Skittles ad?). I think they are both a waste of money. Sorry.

R/GA
"Nokia viNe" for Nokia by R/GA:

This is so creepy! Can you imagine all the stalkers that will emerge with this project?
Why would someone want to record his/her whole day?
I have a strong objection to the direction our society is taking today. Facebook, Twitter, and now the Nokia viNe...I think people should stop making their life through the internet and start having a real life. That is, by interacting with others face to face. Not through computers or cellphones.
In defense of R/GA, I have to say that this idea proves that their agency is still a leader in technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment